Friday, February 13, 2015

Instrument Room Side Projects

A couple of students I work with in the instrument room here at Purdue also have some side projects that they get involved with. Some are just looking for extra experience in soldering and others are just helping out friends.

First up is Travis Garza, I helped oversee his progress to make an FM wireless microphone because he wanted some extra soldering experience. What a go-getter sophomore. All I did was help him learn good soldering techniques, but he did all of this handiwork and I am proud of him even though we weren't able to get it to work.






















Second up is Kyle Woodworth, I was not even involved for this project but managed to see his handiwork just as he finished so I only have a few photos at the tail end. One of his friends asked if he could do a fixer-upper for his Gamecube controllers. (I guess his friend is really involved with Super Smash Bros.) According to Kyle, which didn't take photos of his progress, this controller was 80% nasty and 20% super gross so I'm impressed with his cleaning and re-soldering. Allegedly, the capacitive coupling can be reduced thus increasing the response time for these controllers according to Todd Wild (my overseer, in Todd we trust).








2 comments:

  1. I don't know what happened to my other comment but yeah, this is really interesting. I'm so glad you're documenting these projects. Always wanted to see what was in a controller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good with documentation, but until now I just didn't know how to share it properly.

      Delete