Friday, January 23, 2015

Ozark Patrol Regenerative Receiver

In 2014 I earned my amateur radio license as a General operator. To teach myself a little more about amateur radio, I purchased a regenerative receiver kit from the ham radio group Four State QRP Group that was designed by David Cripe(NM0S). It's pretty simple and was not super expensive($46.00), but I haven't been able to hear any broadcasts with it so far.

Anyways, I finally got around to soldering it a few days ago so this project of mine is a little more recent than my last post, but I'm probably going to jump around at first because I would like to get material on here first for others to see. Later on I expect to be more consistent and current with my projects.

I forgot to get a picture with the knobs.


I'm pretty proud of this.



This was a lot of fun and I was able to practice fearless soldering as I call it. The philosophy of soldering without fear. Maybe explanation was not necessary.

I have been using it to pick up weird noises, but I was unable to tune in to anyone broadcasting yet. If I get to tune in to anything I'll try to post a video.









Here's a small video of the receiver being tuned, but it does concern me that maybe I've accidentally made a musical instrument for electro-techno. Also I have to apologize for the quality of the video, I took the video with my potato phone, but I think it shows what I've built well enough.


5 comments:

  1. Good Day,
    You'll need about 50 feet of antenna and perhaps a ground connection to hear anything.
    73,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    The center conductor of your tuning capacitor, which is sticking out in the picture, needs to be bent forward and soldered. You are also missing cap C13 across the regeneration control.

    That being the case, it does seem to be regenerating.
    As Rob remarked, it does need a good antenna and ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I sort of buried this somewhere in my boxes of stuff. Looking st it again, I’m not sure where C13 is but it’s been long enough for me to not remember what I did. I think I was still trying to learn how to solder here so it’s very possible.

      Delete
  3. C13 is a 1uf cap across the regen control. If you need one I'll mail you one. I downloaded the picture of your radio, and thankfully, it is 1200 x 1600, so I could see your solder joints. They all look good.

    You can get this radio working with an hour of effort. It works really well. See this:
    http://analogdial.com/Ozark/Ozark1.html

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool. I should a 1uF floating around on my desk somewhere. Also I’m glad you could check my solder. I’ll make sure to keep uploading high resolution photos.

      I’ll have to update this project once I get it up and going. Thanks so much Mike!

      Delete