Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Replacing LG VK810 Digitizer on a Tablet

I have been meaning to post more stuff. Things have gotten... well I don't want to say busy, but I have certainly found myself doing less student/project related things now that it's summer time and all the students are gone. I am looking forward to the fall semester.

Anyways, recently my granddad's tablet's screen broke. I would have liked to just replace the glass because I have seen the method that's commonly used to replace glass on phones and would have liked to give that a go, but instead my granddad purchased the whole digitizer and glass assembly. I did try to find the glass alone, but I wasn't able to find anything. So I offered to take it apart and see if I could figure out how to get the thing replaced and back together.

I should have taken a picture of the tablet broken, but I assure this was sufficiently broken. I tried to stay fairly thorough. I was kind of a little frustrated with how much glass there was and how days after I still found glass splinters in my hands. If you're reading this and you have anything that is glass that doesn't have some kind of screen protector on it order one for it now. Glass plates, glass mugs, glass armor. Doesn't matter what it is, having that adhesive clear protector on it would have limited my glass splinter levels down. Anyways, to the breakdown.

The hardest part was getting the back plastic case off the electronics portion of the tablet. The entire plastic bottom case is a solid piece and you can't slide or unlock something to get it apart. Which you just pretty much try to apply a wide surface area of pressure and pry it out. (I used a screw driver and some cursing to do the trick.)

Once it's apart, things at least made sense looking at how to. We have a ribbon thing, a battery thing, a printed circuit board thing, and an aluminum tape thing. It was kind of frustrating that I couldn't find any advice on how to take apart this specific model of the LG tablet. I did find other models and other tablets so from a combining what people on the internet said and what I could see I managed to start taking things by pieces.





Keep in mind, I deconstructed the entire tablet. I needed to remove the old digitizer and clean the old broken glass from the plastic chassis. I started with the removed the pcb so I could remove the ribbon cable so I could get the battery out. So after unscrewing everything and then double checking to make sure I didn't miss screws I did find that the manufacturers were not shy about using adhesive to keep everything together. If you're removing things and feel it's stuck then it probably is and you just need to lightly apply pressure and wait for it to come unstuck.

Because I'm replacing the digitizer assembly, everything needs to come out. Camera, speaker, plastic housing bits, secret connector bits, and even some of the tape that was used as, what I'm guessing to be, insulation.


Once I got one side of the ribbon cable free, I needed to work on the other side of the ribbon cable would goes to the USB connector and what looked to be sound/microphone pcb. Again this was moving things out of the way once they were unscrewed and keeping special looking tape and just overall being gentle with the connectors.






Once the ribbon cable was free so I could remove the battery, getting the rest of the bits out of their holes and crevices was a lot more simple and I was able to see the back of the old digitizer.





Removing the old digitizer from the plastic chassis, which you can see underneath with all the broken glass, required a heat gun, patience, and time. It wasn't necessarily important to be slow to preserve the old digitizer so much as I needed to keep the plastic chassis in tact without melting it with the heat gun. Similarly, I used the heat gun and a flat head screwdriver to remove the old adhesive and broken glass from the chassis as well.




 This is the cleaned chassis next to the new digitizer assembly. Now that's left is to reverse the process and put it all together. I only encountered two different types of screws that were distinctly different so I didn't have an issue as long as I used the right screw, but I also tried to keep the correct screw with it's corresponding hole on a piece of paper so I didn't muck everything up. Attaching the new digitizer to the plastic chassis, I used UV curing tape that for some reason we had on hand in the instrument shop. Allegedly it's pretty cheap, but it was convenient because we also had a UV bath (it looks like a cheap nail salon UV bath) to help the curing process.



Once everything was back together, it turned on and nothing smoked out of the headphone jack. It was interesting, but really I don't think I want to do that again. I do not particularly like working with broken glass.







28 comments:

  1. Can you provide additional guidance on getting the back cover off? It's not clear to me where to begin prying and I'm afraid I'm going to break it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back of the tablet is sort of like a rubber back that has a large lip. I found it easiest to pry starting at one of the corners and bending the back off just enough to clean the corner of the screen. Once you can get one portion off, the rest comes off very easy. My only recommendation is to try to be gentle when prying. The back cover has some give to it, but I was too scared to test the limits so just be careful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I got it with your help.

      Delete
    3. DO NOT PRY!
      The built in clips are simply unlocked by the flat tool you insert around the screen. If you press your tool back at an angle, you risk cracking the glass further and making a bigger mess than necessary. And if you're just trying to replace the battery, then messing the screen is definitely NOT an option.

      Delete
    4. BTW, Steven, I see you enjoy HiFi music. I got the new LG V20 last week, the quad DAC amp on the earphone jack has caused me to weep at what I have been missing in my music. I had no idea it could sound this good.

      Delete
    5. Nice. Now all you need are some headphones to pair with your V20. I'm of the mind that good audio source makes up for more than half the audio battle;)

      Delete
  2. Where did you find just the digitizer? I've looked everywhere and all I can find is the LCD/digitizer combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find just the digitizer? I've looked everywhere and all I can find is the LCD/digitizer combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was purchased on Amazon. Now going through it, I can't seem to find that product anymore. I did a quick search and found one through ebay, but I didn't make sure all the specs are correct.

      Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-LG-G-Pad-8-3-VK810-LCD-Screen-Display-Digitizer-Touch-Glass-Assembly-Black-/251763329098

      If I were you, I would double check to make sure it is for the correct model for everything, but at first glance(and judging by the photo) it appears that it might be correct. If it is, then this is at least a better deal for it than what I paid for it(about $80).

      Delete
  4. I just came across your article. I had a question. Do you have to remove everything from the chassis? Could you just unplug the ribbon cable thats connected to the scree/digitizer and then use the heat gun to get it all off with everything else intact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe if you were just replacing the glass you could leave everything intact but as far as replacing the whole digitizer itself I think it's safer to remove everything. I don't want to say that it's impossible because I can't remember if there were any critical components that attach to the digitizer and the chassis, but from what I do recall I remember thinking that the best plan of action was to remove everything in an orderly fashion. Hopefully that helps.

      Delete
  5. any way you could add a phot of the back? I am getting ready to do the same thing but it appears to have 2 little speakers? on the back left, but I didn't notice them on any of your pics.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speaker bar, I believe is that black bar that is taken out first(goes in last) right over the ribbon cable on the back. The first photo shows it pretty much how it's supposed to look going in.

      If that isn't what you're talking about then, could you clarify a little more? I'm not sure what you mean.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, I dint realize I was looking at the front of the back in the pics.. When you took the cover off of the back were did you start? so far I have been unable to get it started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, taking the cover off was tricky using a flat head screwdriver and being gentle. After that, I essentially took out every screw I saw that looked like it was holding something down and kept track of the order of which I took it apart.

      Delete
    2. I understand now, I am at the point of your first picture and trying to get the casing or housing off I'm finding very difficult without breaking! I took all the small screws out, maybe I should have left them in until I got the housing off?

      Delete
    3. Also, this is the same tablet but there is no seem in the top portion that you show removed in your first pic, that goes up to the camera and the micro SD slot, it goes all the way to the glass.

      Delete
    4. Sorry for the questions, but I finally got it, and it made sense. FYI for anyone else, the sides of the (chassis)has little snaps, as I started prying the snaps would pop and then it was easy, you just have to start. I started on the bottom left.

      Delete
  7. I forgot to ask, did you remove the broken glass first? I didn't and I just realized I may have messed up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the glass was the last thing I removed. Be careful not to cut yourself. Glass gets everywhere.

      Delete
  8. Just to clarify, there aren't any screws that need to be taken out before popping the back cover off, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I do not believe that there are. The back of the case is just a rubber cover. Once you can get it off, the meat of the components are visible.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the help and reply!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you have any issues with the small ribbon and contacts that make up the power/volume button assembly? I have tried everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get the case to click back together in that particular corner. Possibly related, the tablet repeatedly turns on and off after I try to put the rear cover back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response, I was dealing with finals�� As for the corner piece getting back together, I check to see if all those grey plastic corner pieces are properly mounted back. I remember some of them being finicky and if that piece is off then the PCB is off a little which can just throw off the case fitting back together.

      I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the power and volume knob assembly. I swear I did, but that ribbon connector needs to fit perfectly. I suspect that the ribbon cable with the power/volume switches is just off just enough that it pushes up against the chassis. In the foldable contact connector where it meets at the PCB see if you can open it up and adjust it so it moves just a little bit up/down depending on you need the part adjusted to fit better. However, before you do that just double check that the grey plastic mounting corner pieces are set correctly. It may just be a "this corner piece is off so the PCB is so the power switch is off so now the case doesn't fit" bullwhip effect.

      Delete
  11. I have replaced glass on phones before thanks to my own clumsy nature but never a tablet. I'm interested to see all of the pictures and you're right, it does make sense when you look at it. Now you will be asked to fix lots more I'm sure of it! Let us know your next project.

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I recently patched up a broken iMac and replaced the CPU with one that Apple doesn't provide. I hope I get some suggestions to fix things, but up until now it's just sort of whatever things come to mind or whatever is currently broken.

      Delete