Thursday, March 5, 2015

HP 3310A Disassembled and Potentiometer Repair

I originally wasn't going to make a post about fixing a potentiometer on the HP 3310A function generator because I thought it should have been relatively easy to replace/repair a simple potentiometer and wouldn't really have a lot more content to add to what I already did. Holy Packard was I so wrong. More like semi-wrong. Repairing the potentiometer was relatively easy as expected, but all the disassembling to get to it so I could even work on it was just incredible. I know in the last post I said the same thing, but friggin' kudos to HP for making a solid box of interlocking, military grade spec parts that is just an incredible pain to take apart. A majority of the photos that I took were not initially for a blog post, but rather documenting how to get this contraption back together once I realized that this was going to be a lot more extensive than unscrewing a few parts.

In the last post about the 3310A, I kind of went over a little of the first bit on how to start taking this thing apart so this is sort of going to pick up from there in the breakdown process.


The potentiometer that is used to vary the amplitude of the function generator was really erratic every time it was adjusted which suggested that the wiper contact was all gunked up with all sorts of gross just from use over time. So the initial idea here was to just replace it, but first I had get to it. Due to how the function generator was constructed, it was necessary to take it almost completely apart.

This is the side panel that screws down each of the printed circuit boards to the box itself so that it's nice and secure. Naturally, each set of screws are different sizes and have specific placements so this photo was a lot more useful to me once I had to put it back together.




But what's this? It only takes off the metal frame, but at least now we can see the board that has the potentiometer on it.





















Getting the board out itself was not necessarily professional, but once the metal side frame is removed you can flex the box to wiggle out the circuit board.

Here are more photos of the board in question once it had been wiggled free. There are two other circuit boards that interface with it, one of which needs to be removed completely to get our potentiometer free.





























Now that I can get a good look at the potentiometer, I figured that it might be worth a shot to see if cleaning the wiper track might solve the issue... but this only became an option after finding that the instrument room did not have potentiometers with the proper physical dimensions.












So prying back the clamps on the dust cover plate revealed this was kind of a unique potentiometer. Rather than having a single contact tooth, this potentiometer had contact teeth so to speak. The photo shows a comparison of these two kinds of potentiometer contacts.

Anyways, just from many years of use the contact teeth made tracks in the resistive strip sort of causing an eroded mess of shavings. I am not certain, but I am under the impression that the resistive strip shavings were preventing a good electrical connection. Cleaning up the tracks with ethanol worked out nicely.
























Before reassembling everything, it was suggested to me by Dave Azpell that a tiny hole should be drilled in the back of the dust cover. If the potentiometer started misbehaving again ethanol could be easily applied without having to take the whole thing apart again.

 

  Here it is mostly put back together with a little video showing the output of the function generator on an oscilloscope while I adjust the amplitude with the newly cleaned potentiometer. 



EDIT (9/17/2015): Someone emailed me about getting some scans from the service manual. So here are the two sets of scans I did. I did a very basic one that included the board layouts. The second one focused on the A1 board that has the triangle amplifier and +/-5V detector.

No comments:

Post a Comment